英国有什么特殊的传统(非同寻常的传统)

Welcome back to engVid with me, Benjamin.,下面我们就来说一说关于英国有什么特殊的传统?我们一起去了解并探讨一下这个问题吧!

英国有什么特殊的传统(非同寻常的传统)

英国有什么特殊的传统

Welcome back to engVid with me, Benjamin.

欢迎回到“engVid with me”,我是本杰明。

Today I'm going to be telling you, sharing with you a few of our more outlandish traditions here in the UK. For a very small island we've got lots of weird and wacky things going on.

今天我要告诉大家,与大家分享我们在英国的一些古怪的传统。对于一个非常小的岛屿,我们有很多怪诞的事情发生。

So, I'm going to be trying to explain what some of these are.

我试图来解释其中一部分事情。

What's this video good for?

这个视频的益处是什么呢?

This is understanding the sort of culture, getting underneath the skin of it, and really exploring the culture and traditions of the UK. Okay, let's go.

在于理解那种文化、挖掘深层意义,真正的探索英国的文化和传统。好吧,让我们开始吧。

The "Last Night of the Proms".

“最后的舞会之夜”。

Not everyone is a fan of this.

并不是所有人都是它的粉丝。

The Proms is a long line of concerts that go on in the Royal Albert Hall in London just near Hyde Park every summer.

这个舞会是每年夏天在伦敦皇家艾伯特亭举行的一系列音乐会,位于海德公园附近。

The last night is obviously the last of those concerts.

最后一夜很明显就是最后的一场演出。

And lots of people wave their Union Jacks and sing along to slightly jingoist-. . .

很多人挥动着国旗,一路唱着歌缓缓前来。

Jingoistic, which means a funny sense of pride in one's nation.

沙文主义者意思就是有民族自豪感的人。

Patriotic songs, like: "Rule Britannia", etc. "The Monster Raving Loony Party".

爱国的歌曲,像“统治大不列颠”“怪物咆哮派对”等。

So whereas this is very traditional and very straight down the line,this is pretty left side, pretty. . .

因此这是非常传统的,意义很鲜明的,极左派的。

pretty out there.

很张扬的。

"Monster Raving Loony Party" was started by a member at the aristocracy called "The Screaming Lord Sutch", he was some sort of Earl of Harrow or something like this.

“怪物咆哮派对”起源于贵族中的一个成员,被称作“The Screaming Lord Sutch”,他是哈罗伯爵或诸如此类的人物。

Some of his manifestos: "Vote for insanity".

他的宣言包括:“为疯狂投票”。

Now, whereas the main political parties orientate themselves in terms of left, right, or center according to their political beliefs, Screaming Lord Sutch said that his political position was: "Sitting, facing forward".

而主要政党则以左派、右派、中立派为核心,根据他们的政治信仰,Screaming Lord Sutch称其政治立场是:“面向前方坐着”。

Okay?

明白了么?

I used short hand in my annotation at the board, here: "Pol" short for "Political".

我在黑板上用简写表示:"Pol"表示政治立场。

But he has achieved some success.

他有一些成功的地方。

These are three policies that they came up with that have all been adopted in the UK. First of all, we have a vote for anyone aged 18 or above.

他们提出的三项政策都已在英国得到批准。首先,我们可以为年满18岁以上的任何人投票。

Before that I believe it was 21.

之前我记得要求是21岁。

"Pet passports", we now have pass. . .

“宠物护照”,我们现在能让。

Dogs can have a passport and travel abroad.

狗办理护照并出国。

And we do have all-day pubs.

我们有24小时的酒吧。

So, it was probably a bit of a joke to start with: "Let's have all-day pubs", because they're only open in the evening 30 years ago, and now you can go in from 11 o'clock.

因此,一开始可能只是一个笑话:“让我们享受到24小时酒吧吧”,这在30年前是只有在午夜开放的,现在11点酒吧就能对外开放了。

Not to be endorsed whole-heartedly, though, all-day drinking. Right. "Baked Beans Museum", yes, we do have a museum for baked beans.

虽然全天候开放的酒吧没有得到完全的赞同。好吧。“烘焙豆博物馆”,没错,我们确实有这样的博物馆。

It's in Port Talbot, number. . .

位于塔尔伯特港...

Port Talbot in Wales, and it's ranked number 4 out of 15 attractions in Port Talbot.

威尔士的塔尔伯特港,在当地15个景点中排名第四。

"The Ugly Face Competition", yes, we have an annual competition for gurning, going. . . Pulling weird faces.

“丑陋面相比赛”,没错,我们每年都有这样的比赛。通过各种做鬼脸。

It happens in September in Cumbria which is in the northwest of the United Kingdom.

每年9月在英国西北部的坎布里亚郡。

"Morris dancing", this looks a little bit like this.

“莫里斯舞”,看起来有点像这样的。

Okay?

明白了么?

I wave handkerchiefs, and I would have bells down here on my feet.

我挥舞着手绢,脚上挂着铃铛。

So waving your handkerchief, okay?

挥起你的手绢,好吗?

This has been a tradition in the UK since 1448, that's the first recorded date of Morris dancing.

从1448年,英国就有了这样的传统,那是第一次记载莫里斯舞的日子。

I witnessed it more recently.

我最近有幸见证了这个舞蹈。

In Suffolk there's a village there called Middleton, every Boxing Day they have a precession of the wren.

在萨福克郡有个叫米德尔顿的村庄,每个节日都有鹪鹩装扮的游行。

It's quite strange.

很奇怪。

Basically they put sort of. . .

基本上他们把,

They black themselves out and there is a sort of march of a dead wren to celebrate some sort of mid-winter pagan festival.

他们把自己涂黑,用类似于死亡鹪鹩的游行来庆祝某个仲冬异教徒节日。

"The boat race", this is an annual event that happens in the middle of April.

“划船比赛”,是每年4月中旬都会举行的运动。

It's the. . .

它就是...

Is it 8-man team or 8-lady team?

8个人的男队还是女队?

From Oxford and Cambridge.

来自牛津和剑桥。

It goes from I believe Hammersmith Bridge to Putney Bridge, and the winner of the team, they get to throw the person who's been steering, the cox, into the river.

我记得是从哈默史密斯桥到普特尼桥,获胜的队伍,他们把舵手扔进河里。

Okay?

明白了么?

So that happens every year.

每年都有这样的事情。

If you're watching this from Holland, I believe you're quite adept,you're quite good at doing similar activities yourselves.

如果你是荷兰的观众,我相信你很了解,你们很擅长做这样类似的活动。

Now, I know Britain are doing quite well in Olympics these days, but back in the 1970s, we struggled, and there was a couple of people who were sat outside a pub in Derbyshire, which in the middle of the country, it's in the Midlands and they were like: "Aw, we're not winning anything at the Olympics. We've got, you know. . . All our teams are doing terribly. Let's invent a sport we can actually win at."So they invented "toe wrestling".

现在我知道了为什么英国人那时候在奥利匹克上表现的那么好了,回到七十年代,我们挣扎着,有几个人坐在德比郡的一家酒吧外面,在中部地区,他们就像是:“我们在奥林匹克上什么都赢不了。我们做到了,你知道的...我们所有的队伍都很糟糕。让我们发明一个可以赢的运动吧。”因此他们创造了“脚趾摔跤”。

The problem was that in 1976 a Canadian came along and won the competition.

在1976年发生了变化,一个加拿大人参与进来赢得了比赛。

They were so upset by this that they decided to call the whole thing off for a few years;they went into a sulk.

他们为此感到不安,叫停了好几年;他们感到很生气。

But I'm pleased to say that toe wrestling is now back on, and if you go out to Derbyshire maybe you can find it yourselves.

但我很庆幸的说,脚趾摔跤运动又恢复了,如果你去德比郡,也许你就能看到了。

"Bog snorkelling", so this is a very English kind of idea or British idea, the idea that you would go swimming through a kind of nasty, muddy, long puddle.

“沼泽浮潜”,这是一种非常英式的想法,你会在一个肮脏、泥泞、很长的水坑里游泳。

Bog, mud, okay?

沼泽、泥浆,好吧。

Dirt.

太脏了。

Snorkel going up so that you can breathe whilst you are under water.

这样的浮潜会让你在水下进行呼吸。

This was invented in Wales in 1976.

这是1976年在威尔士发明的。

And if you have a look at the pictures of bog snorkelling, you'll see that people wear fancy dress, all sorts of unusual costumes.

如果你看一眼沼泽浮潜的照片,你会看到人们穿着奇装异服,各种各样的衣服。

There was one that I particularly liked where. . .

有一个我特别喜欢的地方...

Obviously the person is swimming like this, but they had a boat on top of them.

很明显的看到,人们会像这样游泳,在他们顶上有一个船。

So all that you could see as the person was going along was this boat going along the water.

你看到人们沿着船和水流方向前进。

Now, you're not allowed to use swimming strokes, and no breast stroke, no front crawl, no back stroke, you kind of just have to sort of push your way through.

不允许你使用泳姿,没有蛙泳,没有自由泳,没有仰泳,你只能通过某种方式推动前进。

And it's 60 yards, you go there and then you go back.

有60码的距离,你游过去再游回来。

Sounds quite fun, give it a go. Right. The next in our sort of calendar of strange events: "Guy Fawkes night".

听起来不错啊,不妨尝试一下。好吧。接下来的奇闻异事是:“盖伊福克斯之夜”。

So this commemorates, this remembers when Guido Fawkes, the Catholic revolutionary-shall we say?

为了纪念天主教革命者Guido Fawkes-我们应该说什么呢?

-tried to explode the Houses of Parliament with his gun-powder plot in 1605.

-在1605年试图用火药炸毁国会大厦的阴谋。

Now, at the beginning of November-well-remembered, Benjamin-we make a model of Guy Fawkes.

在11月初—本杰明记得很清楚—我们做了一个Guy Fawkes的塑像。

Okay?

清楚了么?

And we put him on a bonfire and we set fire to him, and we say: "Remember, remember the 5th of November, gun powder, treason, and plot. And we never will forget", dah-dah-dah-dah-dah-dah.

我们把它放在篝火上,烧了它,我们说:“记住11月5日,火药,叛国,阴谋。我们绝不忘记。”

So it's quite strange.

特别的奇怪。

There's always an odd feeling as you see this person, this effigy being burnt. Right. Some vocab.

当你看到这个人的时候,总是有一种奇怪的感觉,塑像被烧掉了。对吧。找几个词形容一下。

What I thought I'd do is provide a few different ways of saying: "Weird".

我想我会列举出几种不同的说法来表示:“怪异”。

You could say: "Unusual".

你可以说成“不寻常的”。

Okay?

对吧?

So we have "usual" means ordinary, I put the prefix in, it means not ordinary.

我们有“寻常的”,意思是普通的,我把前缀放进去,就变成不寻常了。

"Quirky", this is more for sort of conversational English, the word "quirky", but it means, Again, weird.

“古怪的”,这更适用于英语里的“古怪的”一次,意思,也是奇怪的。

Slightly eccentric.

有点古怪的。

"Odd", I wouldn't want to be called odd by someone.

“古怪”,我不会用这个词形容某人。

It's a little bit insensitive.

这个词不太敏感。

"The odd one out" means the one you would. . .

"The odd one out"意思就是你越想让它这样,

The one that is different.

它越是不这样。

"Odd", different.

“Odd”,异类。

"Bizarre","bizarre" means strange.

"Bizarre","bizarre",意思就是奇怪的。

"Oh, that's so bizarre, it's so kind of. . . That's unusual. It's different".

“这太奇怪了,类似于这很不寻常。大有不同”。

"Un peu bizarre", so we use that word in French, too.

"Un peu bizarre",在法语中我们这样用。

"Creepy", this has a slightly dark connotation.

“毛骨悚然的”,略带负面的含义。

If something's creepy, it makes you. . .

如果某事令你毛骨悚然,它会让你...

You get a bad feeling about it.

你会有很糟糕的感觉。

"Curious", okay?

“奇异的”,对吧?

So there's a play on the west end at the moment called The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime.

在西部有一个演出叫做深夜小狗神秘事件。

"Curious" means unusual.

“奇异的”意思就是不寻常的。

"Eccentric", so this would be a good word to describe the Monster Raving Loony Party.

“古怪的”,这是一个正面的词汇,可以描述怪物咆哮派对。

They're very left field, very. . .

他们非常左派,非常...

They're very, very unusual.

非常非常不寻常。

"Far-out", this is an American composite word,"far-out", again, it means weird, strange.

“激进的”,美语中的合成词,意思是奇怪的,怪诞的。

"Kooky", this is not a word you would use in your writing.

“怪异的”,这不是一个单词,书写中不要使用它。

Again, meaning weird.

意思是奇怪的。

"Magical", this is a sort of a polite way of saying that someone is odd.

“神奇的”,这是一种礼貌的表达某人古怪的方式。

They're magical.

他们挺神奇的啊。

Okay?

懂了么?

Their head's in the clouds maybe slightly.

他们的脑袋可能飘到天上去了。

"Mysterious", and we've got the noun,"mystery".

“神秘的”,还有它的名词“神秘”。

Okay?

懂了么?

We want to know, we want to wonder, we want to imagine what it is.

我们很想知道,很想弄清楚,希望能想象到它是什么样的。

"Mysterious".

就用“神秘的”。

Okay?

清楚了吗?

So what does "mysterious" mean?

“神秘的”是什么意思呢?

It means having something unknown about it.

意思就是遇到了未知的事情。

Okay?

明白了么?

We don't fully understand.

我们没有完全理解。

"An oddball","an oddball" is probably slightly more familiar than "odd", it's slightly more affectionate, slightly nicer, but it still means very strange.

“一个古怪的人”,“一个古怪的人”语义更轻微,与"odd"意思相近,略微多情的,稍微好一点,但还是表示很奇怪的意思。

"Outlandish", this is a good word, this is a word that you could use in a piece of writing.

“古怪的”,这是一个正面的词汇,你可以用在写作里。

"Outlandish", again, it means strange.

“古怪的”,意思就是奇怪的。

Okay?

懂了么?

Maybe think of out of the land, it's kind of pretty far, far out.

也许想到异国他乡,会感觉很远很远。

"Peculiar","peculiar", okay?

“特有的”,“特有的”,好吧?

This is another good formal word, here.

这是另外一个正面的正式用语。

And, again, it means strange.

意思就是奇特的。

Hope you've enjoyed.

希望你有所收获。

Why not have a go at the quiz now?

为什么现在不去测验一下呢?

I'm sure it'll be a little bit of fun for you.

我相信你会对此产生乐趣的。

And do come and visit our wonderful and strange island, and maybe attend one of these.

一定要来参观我们美丽而奇特的岛屿,并加入其中的一个。

I'm sure it'll be fun.

我相信会很有趣的。

Until next time.

下次见。

,

免责声明:本文仅代表文章作者的个人观点,与本站无关。其原创性、真实性以及文中陈述文字和内容未经本站证实,对本文以及其中全部或者部分内容文字的真实性、完整性和原创性本站不作任何保证或承诺,请读者仅作参考,并自行核实相关内容。文章投诉邮箱:anhduc.ph@yahoo.com

    分享
    投诉
    首页